Send us up to five pages plus a one-page synopsis of a manuscript, completed or in progress. (Sorry, no screenwriting or plays accepted.) All submissions should be typed and double-spaced. The synopsis should detail your work from beginning to end. Synopses may be single-spaced. This opportunity is available only if you are registered for Part II and will be onsite Friday and Saturday. The $35 fee covers a 15-minute appointment with a member of the Manuscript Evaluation Team who has read your work before the appointment. Because of time constraints, each member of the Manuscript Evaluation Team will evaluate a limited number of manuscripts. Manuscripts will be accepted on a “first-come” basis and no manuscript will be accepted for this program after June 19, 2015. LABEL ALL MATERIALS: (LEFT CORNER: your name, address, phone, email; RIGHT CORNER: Manuscript Evaluator’s name). Mail manuscript to: Jama Bigger (Midwest Writers Workshop), 2106 N. Colson Drive, Muncie, IN 47304.
2015 Manuscript Evaluation Team members:
- Julie Hyzy (10 fiction manuscripts)
- Lori Rader-Day (10 fiction manuscripts)
- Michael Shelden (3 nonfiction manuscripts)
- Christa Desir (10 manuscripts)
- Heidi Schulz (10 middle school manuscripts)
- Dan Johnson (10 fiction manuscripts)
- Dee Romito (10 middle grade manuscripts)
- Lucrecia Guerrero (5 manuscripts)
- Annie Berger (10 manuscripts)
- Holly Miller – 10 manuscripts (fiction or nonfiction)
- Holly Miller is an editor with The Saturday Evening Post and co-author of Feature & Magazine Writing. She and Dennis Hensley have collaborated on four novels and three nonfiction books. Holly’s byline has appeared in Reader’s Digest, Writer’s Digest and TV Guide. She is the author of 14 fiction and nonfiction books. She has won awards from the Associated Press, Society of American Travel Writers and Society of Professional Journalists.
- Dana Kaye – 5 manuscripts (fiction and nonfiction
- Dana Kaye is the owner of Kaye Publicity, a boutique PR company specializing in publishing and entertainment. She received her B.A. in Fiction Writing from Columbia College Chicago. After college, she worked as a freelance writer and book critic. Her work has appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times, Time Out Chicago, and others.
- Matthew Clemens – 10 manuscripts
- A collaborator with Max Allan Collins, the pair has penned 17 TV tie-in novels including CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami, Dark Angel, Bones, and Criminal Minds. Twilight Tales published the pair’s collected short stories in My Lolita Complex and Other Tales of Sex and Violence. They have also authored thrillers You Can’t Stop Me, No One Will Hear You, and What Doesn’t Kill Her for Thomas & Mercer. Supreme Justice, the new thriller was released by Thomas & Mercer in July 2014.
The Team Member will determine the day/time of each conference. Schedules will be emailed prior to the conference and posted by the Registration Table.