MWW’s primary goal is to nurture aspiring and accomplished writers to improve their craft and achieve their writing and publishing goals in an inclusive community that welcomes and uplifts all voices. At our annual hybrid summer conference, you’ll find a thriving and lively community eager to welcome new faces and catch up with old writer friends from across the Midwest–and beyond! We offer sessions and panels covering a wide array of genres, topics, and approaches to craft, all led by top-notch faculty.
Over the years (we’ve been around for fifty!) we have had numerous award-winning and bestselling faculty, all eager to share their stories and their knowledge of crafts to our attendees, and we’ve been honored to host the likes of Joyce Carol Oates, Angela Jackson Brown, Dinty W. Moore, Ashley C. Ford, Michael Martone, Richard Lederer, William Zinsser and so many more (check out past speakers and faculty here). This year our keynote speakers are Tamara Winfrey-Harris and Jane Friedman.
Join us this July 11 – 13, 2024 at the Ball State Alumni Center in Muncie, Indiana—or virtually, from the comfort of your own computer—and see for yourself the wonderful things MWW has to offer! (Then see it again on the recordings of each session!)
Because we have so much to offer!
- 24 Breakout sessions These cover historical fiction, horror, creative nonfiction, flash fiction, mystery, young adult, children’s, poetry, revision, with additional sessions and panels about the creative process, writing life, and publishing industry
- Author Office Hours Have you ever wanted to sit with a published author and pick their brains on topics like: publishing, revising, or anything that relates to becoming an author? This is your opportunity. You don’t need an appointment, just drop in for this informal session with an author. Available for all in-person attendees. In-person only
- Late-Night Talkabouts This is a great time for the in-person attendees to hurry back to their hotel rooms, jump into their pajamas, and join the online attendees for a late night gabfest about everything we saw and heard during the day. We can also share work and ask questions, and finish the evening with a writing sprint to get ready for the next day of writing and learning.
- Manuscript Evaluations Submit your first five pages plus a one-page synopsis of a manuscript, completed or in progress. The $50 fee covers a 15-minute one-on-one in-person appointment during the conference. In-person only
- Ball State Bookstore on-site vendor: Purchase books by our MWW24 faculty and Board. Get them autographed! In-person only
- MWW Consignment Bookstore: If you’re a published author attending in-person, you can sell your books at our consignment bookstore. In-person only
- Private Facebook Group for camaraderie, to ask questions and make comments, and to build connections with other attendees and faculty.
- ALL attendees receive archival access to ALL of the sessions. Can’t attend all the sessions live? Missed something, or want to re-inspired all over again? No problem. You can watch the recordings at your leisure from our private YouTube channel for up to 90 days after the conference.